Cleveland Plumbing Industry Promotion & Education Fund
Scott Wallenstein, Chairman
Our Contractor Members
CPI is a non-profit IRS 501(c)(6) organization established in 1963 in order to provide educational and promotional services for the plumbing contractors who contribute to the fund. CPI’s mission is to promote the plumbing industry while enhancing the quality and safety of plumbing systems.
Who Operates CPI:
CPI is operated solely by plumbing contractors. It is a division of the Cleveland Plumbing Contractors Association who appoints members to act as Trustees of the fund. CPI employs a staff to implement the programs directed by the Trustees.
Who are CPI Contractors:
CPI contractors are based in Northeast Ohio and are signatory to the local Collective Bargaining Agreement with Plumbers Local #55. They are all bonded, State certified, locally licensed, insured, and pay workers compensation, unemployment compensation and benefits to all employees. The average CPI contractor has been in business for 26 years and many for over 50 years. The oldest firm has been in business for over 100 years. All CPI contractors are required to attend continuing education classes to keep abreast of the latest technologies and regulations. Safety is important to CPI contractors who all hold the required OSHA certifications. The State of Ohio will deceritify any contractor who performs below the industry standard or who engages in business improprieties. The State has never deceritified a CPI contractor.
What type of Plumbing do they do:
CPI contractors are experienced in all types of plumbing installation and service such as: commercial, residential, industrial, medical, institutional, water treatment, waste water treatment, utility, government, remodel and retrofit.
What are CPI’s Services:
CPI offers the following services to its contractors:
- Safety – complete program including personalized manual, job site and classroom training and certification, consultation, job site audits, etc. Our full-time safety director constantly trains our contractors and plumbers and monitors the job sites for safety compliance.
- Education – offers 48 business, code, technology and safety classes or seminars each year. CPI is an official Ohio OCIEB certified agency.
- Manuals & Publications (free to all CPI contractors)
- Manufacturers Guide
- Community Regulations Guide – (permit fees, code and licensing requirements for all 60 N.E. Ohio communities)
- Water Dept. Meter Settings Manual (the only one of its kind)
- New Plumbing Code (condensed version)
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Legislative Directories: City, State, and Federal
- Residential 5 year warranty literature
- Medical Gas Brochures
- Ohio Boiler Code
- Ohio Pressure Piping Code
- Legislation – CPI provides City and State lobbying service by means of a committee to review policy and a lobbyist for political action. CPI also has a PAC fund.
- Government Agencies – CPI has a relationship with State and City agencies to help improve plumbing conditions and gain access for input into policies.
- Promotion – CPI publishes an annual roster and P.R. piece which is widely distributed to owners, architects, engineers, and general contractors. CPI also collectively advertises its contractors in the Builders Exchange Buyers Guide, The Blue Book, ASPE and ASSE Directories, Yellow Pages and other publications.
CPI contractors only hire plumbers who have completed a 5 year apprenticeship program which includes 480 hours of classroom training and 8400 hours of on-the-job training. The Training Center is jointly administered by CPI and Local #55. It operates morning, noon and night – 6 days per week and employs a Director, 2 full time instructors, 8 part time instructors and a secretary. The 8,000 sq. Ft. center boasts: 14 welding/brazing stations, classrooms, fully equipped hands on training area, backflow training area, medical gas training dept. and much more. In addition to the 5 year apprenticeship program, the typical plumber, employed by a CPI contractor, spends over 20 hours per year at the training center upgrading his skills. Most CPI plumbers are certified in the following areas:
- Safety Certificates (min. 3-max. 9)
- State Certified Welding or Brazing
- Backflow Certification – State of Ohio and Cleveland Water Dept.
- Plastic Pipe Fusion – East Ohio Gas Co.*Gas Controls Certification – East Ohio Gas Co.
- Medical Gas Installation Certification
14% of all CPI Plumbing Contracting firms are owned by minorities or females.
CPI encourages diversity in the employment of plumbers and is proud to strive to a goal of meeting or exceeding Federal and State Guidelines. CPI financially supports and sits on the Board of Directors of the Cleveland Hometown Program which recruits, prepares and trains minorities and females for referral to union apprenticeship programs.
CPI closely participates in the State code process and is actively involved in several advisory committees with the Ohio Dept. Of Commerce’s Industrial Compliance Division. CPI publishes a handy condensed version of the Ohio Plumbing Code, the Ohio Boiler Code and the Ohio Pressure Piping Code. CPI, through its relationship with the Dept. Of Commerce, participates in the drafting of rules and standards that enhance the quality and safety of the industry. CPI constantly offers code classes for its contractors.
President Nixon was in office the last time CPI contractors experienced any disruption of work. Strikes and labor disputes, for the most part, are a thing of the past. In fact, labor and management now see each other as partners with a common goal. Here are some of work rule changes that make CPI contractors more competitive:
- Overtime is now time and one-half (except Sundays and Holidays)
- Starting times are flexible – 7:00 A.M. starts are now available
- Four 10 hour days at straight time may be requested
- 2nd and 3rd shifts are available to reduce the overall costs of the project
- Reduced rates on nursing homes, motels, all site work and residential
CPI operates one of the most sophisticated state-of-the-art medical gas piping certification centers in the country. Plumbers receive a 32 hour intensive medical gas certification program, and a medical gas (State of Ohio) brazing certification (required by law). The center has all of the equipment necessary for proper training and includes a mock-up of a hospital. The instructors are all certified medical gas instructors. Over 300 of our plumbers have been certified. No other contractors can even approach the experience CPI contractors have in medical gas piping installations.Residential: Yes, of course, CPI contractors perform residential plumbing. You shouldn’t be surprised, because 60% of all of the homes in the greater Cleveland area have plumbing installed by CPI contractors. In fact, currently we have 75 plumbers that do nothing but residential plumbing – and they work at a reduced rate. We’re so confident of our value and quality that we offer a 5 year warranty on new home plumbing installations – call us for details.
State code requires all backflow preventers to be tested annually by certified backflow technicians. CPI has over 350 certified backflow technicians who have attended a 30 hour course and taken a written and practical test.
Here’s another reason why owners, architects and general contractors prefer CPI contractors – when we say we’ll be on the job on Monday with equipment, materials and a crew – we’re on the job Monday with equipment, materials and a crew.
CPI is the only organization in the State certified to offer the 30 hour Plumbing Inspector Recertification class, which it provides semi-annually. CPI works closely with, and is a member of the Ohio Association of Plumbing Inspectors. CPI often includes inspectors in code meetings and other activities to gain another perspective of the industry.
CPI represents it contractors to the following organizations:
- Cleveland Engineering Society
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers
- American Society of Sanitary Engineering
- Ohio Association of Plumbing Inspectors
- Ohio Mechanical Contracting Industry
- Union Construction Industry Partnership
- Construction Advisory Committee (Greater Cleveland Growth Association)
- Cleveland Builders Exchange
CPI contractors are long on experience, training and quality and that’s why we’re so efficient. We can offer you a competitive price even compared to other contractors who pay lower wages and don’t pay employee benefits. Peace of Mind: You don’t build a building or a house every day so you need confidence that your contractors are honest, reliable, experienced, quality oriented and competitive. – That describes CPI contractors to a T. Rest easy, you made the perfect choice with CPI contractors.